Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a posting about jobs or auditions.
Fellowships, Internships, & Workshops
Junior Ensemble/Pre-Professional Auditions are year round. Please call 202.371.9656 to set up an audition!
Director of Development, The Joyce Theater Foundation (New York, NY)
The Joyce Theater Foundation, New York’s leading dance presenting organization, seeks a Director of Development.
The Director of Development is a full-time employee and a member of the senior staff of The Joyce Theater Foundation. The position reports to the Executive Director and bears primary responsibility for the organization’s fund raising efforts from all sources. The Director of Development manages a permanent staff of five, as well as temporary interns and development consultants as needed. The position oversees the annual campaign, the endowment campaign, and special fund raising drives such as capital projects, collaborations with colleague institutions, and proposals related to the planning process for the new theater. Philanthropic sources of support for all these efforts include foundations, corporate sponsors, government agencies at the national, state, and local levels, regional arts councils, individual donors of major gifts, Joyce Champions, and donors to the annual Gala. The position works closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Finance, and the Joyce Board of Directors to create, implement, and manage development strategies to achieve the organization’s fund raising goals.
Full job description here.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume, and salary history to Andrew Lerer-Marandino at email@example.com.
Artistic Director, Common Ground Dance Company (Baltimore, MD)
The Artistic Director is responsible for the artistic management of the company and for developing and implementing its artistic output based on the mission statement of Common Ground Dance Company. The Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors and to the Managing Director. The Artistic Director collaborates with the Managing Director and the Rehearsal Director to develop and implement performances, classes and workshop programs in line with the company’s artistic rationale, expressing the vision, mission and goals of the company.
This is a year-round position with no benefits and a very small stipend.
All applicants must submit application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application should include:
A letter of application outlining your qualifications
A current resume
A short statement (one page) describing your teaching philosophy and choreography interests
A 5-10 minute video sample of repertory.
Questions about the position or program maybe directed to email@example.com.
For more information about the Company, visit our website.
Artistic Director, BalletNOVA (Arlington, VA)
The Artistic Director is responsible for the overall artistic direction of the company and school. S/he maintains, in coordination with the staff and Board, the overall vision of the organization and integrates the Mission Statement into all aspects of programming and operations. S/he works with the Executive Director in directing the organization in a joint leadership model, a collaborative structure that facilitates coordination of administrative and artistic efforts in order to ensure the highest quality in all functions of the organization. The Artistic Director supervises the Associate Artistic Director, faculty, Costume Mistress, and (in tandem with the Executive Director) the Director of Programs and Operations. The Artistic Director maintains a teaching schedule in the school, and choreographs for and produces all performances. S/he is expected to have a strong background in classical ballet performance, choreography, and pedagogy. This position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- A master teacher with a minimum of 15 years’ teaching experience in classical ballet and a deep commitment to education and training
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with a professional ballet company
- Organized and methodical teaching approach
- Proven choreographic success in the classical or neo-classical styles
- Ability to work with individuals with artistic sensibilities
- Understanding of and dedication to the BalletNova philosophy of maintaining the highest standards of training and performance in a nurturing environment
- Honest and outgoing personality that is respectful and collaborative in nature
- High level of personal integrity
- Ability to remain calm and adapt in stressful situations
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology as it pertains to dance
- Active artistic network both locally and nationally
- Experience directing a dance school and company
- All applicants must submit application materials to: admin@BalletNova.org. Finalists will be asked to teach a variety of levels of ballet classes.
The application should include:
- A cover letter outlining your qualifications and reasons for interest in the position
- A current resume
- A short statement (no more than one page) describing your teaching philosophy and choreographic style
- A 5-10 minute video sample of choreography, performance repertory and/or teaching via web link (or mail DVD to BalletNova Center for Dance, 3443 Carlin Springs Road, Falls Church, VA 22041)
For the full position description, please click here. Please email your resume and letter of interest to admin@BalletNova.org.
The Production Manager, Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company, reports to the Director of Producing and Touring Lighting Supervisor, Stage Manager and Sound Supervisor report to the Production Manager.
The Production Manager, Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company is an integral part of the Company’s touring personnel. The PM oversees all technical aspects of the Company’s productions, manages the production budget, supervises the production staff and advances all shows with venues.
Download the full job description here.
This position provides a unique opportunity to make use of your bookkeeping knowledge and accounting expertise as part of the year-round team that produces the Festival, School, and various other programs at Jacob’s Pillow in Becket, Massachusetts.
JACOB’S PILLOW, hailed as “the hub and mecca for dancing in North America” (Time), “the dance center of the nation, possibly the world” (The New York Times), and “one of America’s most precious cultural assets” (Mikhail Baryshnikov), is home to America’s longest running international dance festival. iThe Pillow is a renowned institution and cultural destination and was recently awarded the 2010 National Medal of Arts by President Barack Obama at the White House.
The Accounting Coordinator
will report directly to the Director of Finance and will work as part of an essential member of the business office. A full job description can be viewed here.
Tap and Hip Hop Teacher, The Ballet Studio (Alexandria Virginia)
The Ballet Studio, located in the Delray area of Alexandria Virginia, is seeking teachers and substitute teachers for Tap and Hip Hop classes – all levels. These are Contract Positions with hours available weekday afternoons, evenings and Saturday mornings beginning September 2015. Candidates will have prior teaching experience, pre-professional training, and/or performing arts experience in Tap or Hip Hop. Graduate or undergraduate degree in dance preferred. Applicants currently seeking a four year degree in dance will be considered. Qualified applicants must have demonstrated abilities teaching Tap or Hip Hop dance technique and choreography; must promote self-expression through dance for all students and must be able to provide a studio environment that encourages dancers to achieve their goals and feel proud of their accomplishments!
Experience teaching preteens through young adults highly desirable. Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply: Please submit by email your resume, online links to your professional training, performance and employment and a letter of interest that includes the hours you are available to teach weekdays and weekends to: M. Strum, Studio Director at theballetstudio@DelrayDance.com
Pure Barre Teacher/Instructor, Pure Barre Kingstowne
The Pure Barre Kingstowne studio is opening in Fall 2015, and we are looking to build our fabulous team!
Pure Barre is the fastest, most effective way to transform your body. This intense, low-impact workout utilizes small isometric movements done at the ballet barre to lift your seat, tone your body and burn fat!
What we are looking for in an instructor:
- Connected to the Kingstowne community, or surrounding Franconia/Springfield/Fort Belvoir areas
- Active lifestyle, and already living a health-centered life
- Passionate about people and fitness
- An enthusiastic and outgoing personality
- Strong background in dance, fitness or cheerleading is preferred, but not required
- Ability to travel to and from the studio
- Available to teach a minimum of 6 classes per week
- Available to take a minimum of 2 classes per week
- A schedule that allows for flexibility, including early mornings, evenings and some weekends
Teachers are required to complete a 4-day training at one of Pure Barre’s training centers prior to the studio opening.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in joining our team, please contact Jenna McGill at firstname.lastname@example.org with your availability (please be specific), headshot and resume.
Teacher Trainer, Barre Body® (Washington, DC)
Barre Body® (BB) is seeking qualified candidates for part-time Barre Body® Teacher Trainers. BB is a workout created by dancers for everyone! In a ballet-inspired fitness class choreographed to a mix of upbeat music, students use a variety of props to promote the development of long, lean muscles like those associated with a dancer’s body – giving them that “barre body” look. BB is headquartered in Alexandria, VA and certifies teachers and offers classes in studios and gyms across the country.
Teacher Trainers will work independently to conduct BB certification and continuing education courses at various U.S. locations. Teacher Trainers will lead instructors through course work on how to teach BB classes. Ideally teacher Trainers should be based in the Washington, DC Metro Area and be able to travel independently. One must be available to work weekends and participate in job training July 11-12, 2015 in Alexandria, VA.
Applicants should have professional and/or educational dance experience, a high level of physical fitness, and experience teaching to music. To visit the full job description, go to http://barre-body.com/jobs/. To apply please submit a resume, cover letter, recent photo, and video to email@example.com. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dance Teacher, Takoma Part Middle School (Takoma Park, MD)
Takoma Park Middle School is seeking a 6th-8th grade part-time dance teacher. We seek an educator who can make various dance styles engaging and fun for middle school students. This artist is confident and proficient in his/her choreography of various dance styles and can also build a strong classroom management with routines and systems. If you are interested please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Position Summary: The Dance Teacher is the sole position dedicated to supporting the Takoma Park Middle School’s Dance program. The Dance Teacher teaches a total of 3 classes a day (grades 6th – 8th) 2-3times a week.
Dance Curriculum and Instruction
● Plan dance units of study and lessons that align with standards
● Choreograph and teach various styles of dance pieces (ballet, jazz, tap, hiphop,etc.)
● Provide an inviting, exciting, and innovative learning environment
● Use classroom and behavioral management strategies that are structured, consistent, respectful and responsive to student needs
● Ensure a safe physical and emotional environment for students through positive framing, kind communication with students and adults, predictability and consistent routines
● Ideal candidates have:
○ 1-2years of teaching experience in middle school classrooms or dance studio capacity
○ Clear evidence on cover letter and/or resume of dance teaching experience
○ Successful candidates are:
■ highly-skilled classroom managers and self-motivated learners
■ creative thinkers who take a solutions oriented approach to challenges
■ All candidates must have: A bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Dance and/or Education (or will graduate Spring of 2015)
Timeframe and Compensation
● This is a part-time position, with the following block schedule:
○ Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 7:35 am – 2:40 pm OR Tuesday & Thursday, 7:35am – 2:40 pm
○ The position will begin early Spring 2015.
○ The daily rate for compensation is $172.41. f you hold a valid Maryland professional eligibility certificate or standard or advanced professional certificate, the daily rate of pay is $182.14.
● This position has the potential for growth into a salary position with benefits for the 20152016school year. If you are interested please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
BodyWise Dance is looking for teaching artist to lead movement classes in assisted living and long-term care facilities for people with limited movement capacity and/or neurocognitive diagnosis. Part-time position available immediately. Must be available for extensive training through the Fall and be ready to take on new projects at the start of 2015. Responsibilities:
- Support the mission and pedagogy of BodyWise Dance
- Plan and execute lessons that are engaging and appropriate for each group of participants
- Be punctual for classes
- Be available to check in with clients and participants before and after class
- Bring your creativity and energy to your teachingAttend monthly BodyWise team meetings
- Excellent technique, improvisation, composition and people skills
- Comfortable engaging with staff, residents and caregivers
- Committed and invested in the development of dance in healthcare programs
- Access to transportation and willing to travel to facilities in the greater DC metro area
- 2 + years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree in dance or a dance-related field. MFA preferred.
- Prior experience in healthcare settings a plus
- Additional languages a plus
Salary: This position pays $75/class. Training is unpaid. Benefits include professional development for artists and peer support. To apply, please send resume and any questions to Margot Greenlee email@example.com. Follow up will include an interview and teaching observation. BodyWise dance offers seated dance classes designed to increase mobility, social engagement and rhythmic accuracy. Featuring social dance styles, popular music, conversation, and hand-to-hand partnering, the class is a well-paced and refreshing experience for elders age roughly 80 – 100 with limited physical ability and neurocognitive diagnosis. Using both follow-the-leader and inquiry-based approaches, instructors brings participants into the world a dancer; mastering movement and making unique dances together. Caregivers often join the class to both learn about their patients and enjoy the benefits of dancing themselves. BodyWise dance is an equal opportunity employer.
The Washington Ballet (TWB) seeks a Ballet Instructor for programs and classes at it southeast Washington, DC location. This full-time faculty position will be assigned to teach ballet at The Washington School of Ballet and in the DanceDC program, an Education and Outreach Program of TWB. The candidate will possess 3 to 5 years teaching experience in ballet to children of varying levels in a conservatory and outreach setting. The candidate must possess and demonstrate classical ballet knowledge, a willingness to embrace The Washington School of Ballet’s curriculum and demonstrate proficiency in choreography. The candidate will have an understanding of practical forms of dance education including arts experience and arts integration which are essential to the company’s educational mission. Successful candidates will lead classes and instruct students in ballet at The Washington School of Ballet and in public school settings through the DanceDC program. Collaboration with students, parents, and school and company administration is required. The candidate’s knowledge of community engagement training is a plus. Previous experience in the non-profit sector is preferred. Additional duties include preparing and rehearsing dance routines for a variety of school and community performances. To apply, please visit The Washington Ballet’s employment website.
Gainesville Ballet School is currently fully staffed with teachers, but is always looking for substitute teachers and new positions may open. Interested teachers please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org after which a teaching audition will be scheduled.
Fitness Instructor, 305fitness (Washington, DC)
We are seeking our next badass instructor to teach our lively dance cardio classes. No fitness experience required. Looking for energetic, smart, creative, and fun-loving dancers. We only consider applicants with dance experience who have no full-time work commitments. You must be able to commit 10-15 weekly hours during training.
A position as a ((305)) Instructor is the perfect compliment to your performing career. Our classes are fun and lively to teach. You dance, jump, and bring life to the classroom, inspiring non-dancers to move their bodies. Educationally, our extensive training program — at no cost to you — also offers a unique foot in the door into the world of fitness that costs trainers thousands of dollars to attain on their own. The hours are consistent and part-time. We are highly supportive of artists and traveling schedules.
For more information, click here.
Performing Arts Instructor, Ballet Petite (Bethesda, MD)
Ballet Petite and the Youth Performing Arts School is a performing arts school teaching children ages 2 years through 18 years. We have a Ballet Department and a Musical Theatre Department. Classes include classical ballet, musical theatre, tap, jazz, hip hop and modern dance. We hire both teachers and arts administrative staff, we have employment opportunities for part time and full time staff. Our locations are in Montgomery County and Fairfax County. Seeking Ballet teachers with possible other technical dance experience. Must be willing to be trained in this program’s pedagogy. Must be available for training beginning this summer and open to additional shadowing once classes commence. For more information, click here.
Experienced Hip Hop teacher for competition choreography and recreational recital classes. Wednesday evenings, starting this summer. Call (703) 443-1093 or email email@example.com.
Outreach Teachers and Site Managers, City Dance Ensemble (Washington, DC)
As our programs expand and grow we are always looking for qualified, enthusiastic teachers for our Community Programs. If you are a professional youth worker and dance teacher interested in joining our staff, please email your resume with cover letter to Kelli Quinn at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please outline your education, training, and experience working with youth, as well as motivation for working in a community program. Click here for more information.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resumé and 3 professional references to: Heidi Schimpf, Director of Programs and Services email@example.com Fax: (202) 399-6761
The Washington School of Ballet seeks an energetic candidate with significant experience teaching ballet technique to children ages 4 to 10. The person must possess strong classical ballet knowledge, must be a team player, teach the school’s curriculum and have experience in choreography for young children. General Responsibilities:
- Teach ballet classes in level(s) Pre Ballet 1 through Level 2
- Choreograph for the Pre Ballet 2 & 3 Class Presentations and Spring Performance for Level 1A and up
- Write evaluations for each student
For more information, click here.
Fellowships, Internships & Workshops
Header photo by Chantal Cough-Schulze