Perform at Dance Place
Apply to Be Presented or Co-presented in the
Cafritz Foundation Theater
A limited number of opportunities are available each year to have your company presented or co-presented by Dance Place. Download the application here!
Deadline for Submissions: December 15, 2016 by 5pm
Audition for our New Releases Choreographers Showcase
Dance Place’s annually curated showcase features some of the best new works by established and emerging choreographers. Performance will feature 2016 Dance Place New Releases Commission recipient Briana Stuart.
Saturday, May 6 at 8pm
To sign up for an audition, follow these two easy steps!
Please email Ben Levine at email@example.com with questions or call Dance Place at 202.269.1600.
Please read the following:
- Auditions will take place in the Cafritz Foundation Theater at Dance Place.
- Recorded music must be on CD or mp3 player with standard 1/8″ input (if applicable).
- Choreographer MUST have definitive connection to the DC Metro area, as defined by:
- Choreographer must reside in Washington, DC, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland, Fairfax County, Arlington County and the city of Alexandria in Virginia.
- AND more than 50% of the artists’ work over the past year must take place within the aforementioned counties.
- Work must be completed and performance ready (including costumes and sound).
- Maximum length for each piece is 12 minutes.
- Audition slots are 15 minutes each.
- ALL PERFORMERS MUST be available for the performance date, tech / dress on Thursday, May 4 and Friday, May 5 *(including daytime)
- Selected choreographers will receive a small honorarium.
- One selected choreographer will be awarded Dance Place’s 2017 New Releases Commission and will be invited to perform in both the 2017 and 2018 showcases.
- If a choreographer must cancel their audition, please do so by Monday, January 30 so that artists on the waiting list may have audition slots allocated to them. Artists who fail to do so resulting in a “no-show” audition slot will be ineligible for next year’s New Releases showcase audition.
Apply to Be Presented as part of the
Art on 8th Outdoor Performance Series
To be considered for Art on 8th Outdoor performances, please complete an application form, in its entirety, and submit along with a link to a work sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure links are accessible or provide a password to view.
Please keep in mind these technical specifications and ensure that your performance is feasible for the Art on 8th program. If you have any questions please direct them to Sarah Greenbaum at email@example.com.
Art on 8th Programming takes place at the Monroe Street Market Stage located right off of the Brookland/CUA Metro. The stage is 25’ wide and 13’ deep. While we prefer to have Thursday music groups perform on the stage, we give the Friday interactive dance performers the option of performing on the stage or directly in front of it. Keep in mind that this space is an outdoor stage made of concrete.
Sound Equipment and Information:
Dance Place provides a small sound system for Art on 8th performances; however a sound operator is not provided. If your performance requires a sound operator, please plan on having one on site.
Dance Place will provide the following sound equipment:
- Fender Passport 500 with the following specs:
-USB port lets you record with CD Quality (.wav) straight to a USB Flash Drive
– Six mic lines with XLR and 1/4 inputs
– Two stereo inputs with 1/4 and 1/8 (for MP3 player) inputs
– 1/4 subwoofer out with 120Hz high pass filter
– CD-quality .wav and mp3 file playback
– Docking connector for Passport wireless receiver
– Speaker systems feature tightly controlled coverage to minimize feedback
– 35mm (1-3/8″) stand adapters built into each speaker cabinet
– Two speaker cables and a detachable power cable
– Mic/cable storage compartment with latching lid
- One wireless handheld microphone
- One wired microphone and XLR cable
- One microphone stand
A loading area is available adjacent to the Monroe Street Market Stage. Dance Place will provide water and a secure place for personal items during performances.
Share your ideas for 8th St Arts Park Programming
It’s YOUR community park. Tell us what you want to happen!
Do you have an idea for a workshop, project, class, community initiative, or event? We want to hear it! Submit your ideas via application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please keep in mind that all programming on the Arts Park must be 100% FREE to participants.
Limited funding is available for Arts Park programming. See application form for details.
If you have questions about programming proposals, please direct them to Sarah Greenbaum at email@example.com.
Information about the 8th St Arts Park
Dance Place, along with a dedicated volunteer Steering Committee, has transformed the empty alley between the Brookland Artspace Lofts and our newly renovated building into the 8th St Arts Park where neighbors come together. With a dedicated staff, unique creative design, gardens, public art commissions and 100% FREE programming, the 8th St Arts Park serves as a national model for creative placemaking and building community. Leading the charge in responsible revitalization, our Arts Park is the first community park in Brookland / Edgewood NE DC built by neighbors, for neighbors.
Audition for a Resident Company
Dance Place has several professional dance companies in residence, including ReVision dance company, Dance Place Step Team, and Coyaba Dance Theater. Dancers are often selected from the class that the choreographer teaches, and sometimes general auditions are held. If you wish to join a resident company, the best way to find out more about auditioning is to take a class to become familiar with the movement and then ask the instructor directly about openings or auditions for a particular company. Dance Place also posts notices about auditions and other opportunities around town and regionally on our Job Bank.